[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Ursids 2001 skimpy in Florida

I decided to try out my new observing spot in the back yard, not being
prepared to go to the remote site.  Our orange and grapefruit trees both
died early this year, and I finished removing the debris from cutting them
down a few days ago   At age 36 years, that's about their limit.  Now I have
a full glasses field of view available for urban observing.

For 2001 Dec 21/22 I observed 1.25 hours in sky LM5.5 and saw 8 total
meteors : 2 Ursids and 6 sporadics.  Had almost as many satellites.  Was
concerned about seeing any Ursids, as they made me wait 45 minutes.  I was
facing east at elevation 70o.  Latitude 26.75 N is a bit rough on the Ursids
-- max elevation here is only about 30 degrees.

1005 - 1120 UT   Field 150,+25    Teff 1.25    F1.00   LM5.5     2 URS    6
SPO    8 TOT

sporadic mags :  2 (2)   3 (2)   4 (1)   5 (1) , total 6

Ursid mags :   +4 (2) , total 2

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor