time.  My goodness, does that wipe out time!

Date: Dec. 10/11, 2001
Observer: Mark Fox
Location: Newaygo, Newaygo Co., MI USA
(43 deg. 27' N, 85 deg. 49' W)
Elevation: about 760 feet --- Was standing in the lake
most of the time.
Total Teff: about 1.22 hrs.; from about 0:16-1:41 UT
(7:16-8:41 P.M. EST)
Temperature: 37 F (03 C) @ 3:04 UT, Nov. 10
Recording Method: manual (paper & pencil)
Dead Time: roughly 12 min.
Breaks: none

Average LM:  About +5.2 all in all.  Some haze was
present during the whole session which apparently
didn't fluctuate very much from the data gleaned a few
times from some star areas.  The biggest fluctuation
occurred at 1:10:04 UT, but quickly subsided to a
lesser degree after a few moments.

I used the following star areas:

(Recorded at beginning of session --- no dead time.)

Area       # Of Stars        LM

 19               3          ?

 14              10-         5.2+

  6               6          5.4
***********************************

(Recorded between 1:04:34 - 1:08:04 UT, about half of
which is counted as dead time.)

Area         # Of Stars      LM

 19                 3+       5.2-

 14          About 10        5.2+

  6           About 6        5.4

Haze affected the whole sky to an annoying degree at
1:10:04 UT, subsiding after a few moments.
************************************

(Recorded at end of session --- no dead time.)

Area          # Of Stars      LM

 19                  3        ?

 14            About 9        5.2

  6            About 6        5.4

  8            About 10?      5.9-
***********************************

Obstruction due to trees, hills, etc. across the WHOLE
sky.: roughly 40%, not including all the cracks
visible through the trees.

Cloud Cover: 0% as far as I could tell.

Field Of View: Auriga, especially the Little Dipper,
Gemini, Cygnus, the zenith, sometimes at Pegasus, and
most adjacent constellations.

Observed Showers:

            GEM
            ANT (1?)
            SPO (4)

METEOR DATA:

Time *** Meteor # *** Mag. *** Shower

0:17 UT      1         3-4       SPO

0:37 UT      2         2         SPO

0:41:39 UT   3         1         SPO

1:21:09 UT   4         4         SPO

1:27:34      5         1+        ANT?
***************************************

Meteor # *** Velocity *** Color ***

    1          3       (?) Wh./Gr.

    2          2           Wh./Yel.?

    3          3           Wh

    4          2?      (?) Bl

    5          2-3         Wh
***********************************

Meteor # *** General Location/Direction
                  And Path Length

    1    Headed almost straight towards the lower
         half of the Little Dipper from its left side.
         Path Length: 3 deg.

    2    Very roughly RA 14h 40m; Decl. 75 deg.
         -to- RA 12h 40m; Decl. 72 deg
         In another words, it started about a degree
         above beta Ursae Minoris and ended about a
         degree above and a couple or so degrees
         before kappa Draconis.

    3    Headed towards the bowl of Ursa Minor about
         2 or less degrees right of its tail.
         Path Length: 5 deg.?

    4    Ended a few degrees above and at a slant with
         Alpha Cygni.  The meteor's path can be traced
         back to somewhere near or in Andromeda,
         ALTHOUGH it most likely originated from
         beyond that constellation.
         Path Length: 30+ deg?

    5    Ended about a degree to the left of the
         middle of Delphinus.  From all the
         measurements I could make, it apparently can
         be traced back somewhere to the lower half
         (FEET SIDE) of Gemini.
         Path Length: about 30+ deg.
**************************************
NOTES:

1. Most if not all the time recorded here could be off
by only a few seconds.

2. ANT =Antihelion; GEM = Geminid; and SPO = sporadic.

3. None of the meteors witnessed this night had
luminous trains.

4.  Meteor # 4 was one skinny meteor!  I could have
easily missed that one.  It was like eyeing a strand
of hair in the sky and appeared almost dark in a way.

Merry Christmas!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA