[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) 2001 Ursids

After returning home from my short Christmas trip to the mountains of
Virginia, I can report only limited results in trying to observe the Ursids.
In my own case, I observed for a little more than one hour before the clouds
drove me back inside. During this period on the 21st/22nd, I observed no
Ursids.

There have only been a handful of reports sent in by other observers as many
people reported being clouded out. Successful observers included Peter
Detterline, Robert Lunsford, Bert Matous, Norman McLeod, Huan Meng and
Richard Taibi. A total of 9.90 hours of observations were submitted,
reporting 8 Coma Berenicids (COM), 2 Geminids (GEM), 27 Ursids (URS) and 64
sporadics (SPO). By far, the highest activity for the Ursids was reported by
Huan Meng when he recorded 18 during a 1.08 hour session. Here is a listing
of all the Ursid observations:

December 19/20:
Peter Detterline (Teff=1.00, 3 URS, 3 SPO)
Bert Matous (Teff=1.75, 3 COM, 2 GEM, 1 URS, 18 SPO)

December 21/22:
Robert Lunsford (Teff=2.00, 2 COM, 11 SPO)
Norman McLeod (Teff=1.42, 2 URS, 6 SPO)
Richard Taibi (Teff=2.65, 3 COM, 3 URS, 17 SPO)

December 22/23:
Huan Meng (Teff=1.08, 18 URS, 9 SPO)

A complete list of all observations received in December will be posted to
the website in early January.

Happy New Year!

Mark Davis, sc.meteors@home.com
Goose Creek, South Carolina, USA