[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) IMO shower circular: GEM 2001

                -------------------------
                   IMO SHOWER CIRCULAR

                G E M I N I D S   2 0 0 1
                -------------------------

Originally, the so-called 'preliminary reports' were meant as an
immediate information about the observed activity level of major
meteor showers based on a limited number of raw data sent to the
IMO directly after the observations. This scheme worked well
until the number of observers sending their (full) reports
promptly increased so that we now reached a point where we
receive an (almost) complete global data set within a few days
after a major shower maximum. Of course, it is great to see that
observers distribute their full data so quickly. This situation,
however, implies that the people doing the input work for the
IMO data bases will type the data only once. That is, we now
have quite a large number of Geminid reports already in the VMDB
(while still many Leonid and Geminid reports are coming in). As
a further consequence, the present Geminid report is based on a
large quantity of data obtained by 44 observers worldwide and it
(almost) looks like a global analysis rather than a very
preliminary report. This is also the reason for the delay...

Anyway, we very much appreciate the reports sent by the
following 44 observers including 146.3h net observing time and a
total of 5919 Geminids noted during the 2001 return of the
shower:
 Hershil Adesara (India)         Koen Miskotte (Netherlands)
 Rainer Arlt (Germany)           Sirko Molau (Germany)
 Felix Bettonvil (Netherlands)   Sven Nather (Germany)
 Sushrut Bhanushali (India)      Francisco Ocana Gonzalez (Spain)
 Lukas Bolz (Germany)            Eran Ofek (Israel)
 Biswajit Bose (India)           Daniel Van Os (Netherlands)
 Parag B. Deotare (India)        Jacques Plee (France)
 Frank Enzlein (Germany)         Nilesh Puntambekar (India)
 Christoph Gerber (Germany)      Tushar Purohit (India)
 George W. Gliba (USA)           Jurgen Rendtel (Germany)
 Shelagh Godwin (UK)             Francisco Rodriguez Ramirez (Spain)
 Madhura Gokhale (India)         Keren Sharon (Israel)
 Lew Gramer (USA)                Brian Shulist (Canada)
 Takema Hashimoto (Japan)        George Spalding (UK)
 Kamil Hornoch (Czech Republic)  Ulrich Sperberg (Germany)
 Tomislav Jurkic (Croatia)       Enrico Stomeo (Italy)
 Marco Langbroek (Netherlands)   David Swann (USA)
 Robert Lunsford (USA)           Richard Taibi (USA)
 Hartwig Luthen (Germany)        Josep Trigo Rodriguez (Spain)
 Qiang Ma (China)                Michel Vandeputte (Belgium)
 Pierre Martin (Canada)          Heinrich Wiechell (Germany)
 Alastair Mcbeath (UK)           Nikolai Wunsche (Germany)

Of course, we will include all further data becoming available
later in the global analysis of the Geminids 2001 and publish a
respective paper in WGN. The 2001 return was well observed and
the data is particularly useful because the night was free of
disturbing moonlight. The Geminids showed a broad maximum with a
plateau with ZHRs of the order of 120. The last column gives the
time (UT) for a number of solar longitudes.

sol_long  ZHR  +-    Time (UT)
260.311    28  1.5   0720 Dec 12
260.395    31  1.7
260.505    33  2.0   1200
260.743    47  2.9
260.889    56  3.5
261.050    64  4.3   0050 Dec 13
261.145    69  4.3
261.217    73  4.9
261.439    78  4.6   1000
261.688    89  4.8
261.877   107  4.5
261.921   111  3.7   2120
261.972   110  2.4
261.996   118  2.3   2310
262.014   120  2.1   2345
262.036   118  1.9   0005  Dec 14
262.052   117  1.9   0025
262.066   116  1.8   0045
262.076   116  1.7   0100
262.084   116  1.7   0110
262.096   116  1.7   0130
262.109   116  1.8   0150
262.126   117  1.9   0210
262.148   118  2.1   0245
262.170   120  2.3   0315
262.195   114  2.5   0350
262.219   108  2.8   0425
262.250   108  3.4   0505
262.295   112  4.0   0610
262.349   112  4.6   0725
262.361   113  4.8   0745
262.374   117  5.7   0805
262.436    96  6.4   0930
262.742    44  2.4   1645

sol_long    Solar longitude (2000.0)
ZHR, +-     Geminid ZHR and error; the r value was determined
            from the magnitude data; zenith exponent gamma=1.0
Time (UT)   time in 2001, rounded to the nearest 5 min time stamp

Jurgen Rendtel
IMO President

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html