[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: quads on the 3rd not 4th

Dr. Eric Flescher and All,

You would need to watch for Quadrantid activity later than the 18 UT
maximum if you wish to attempt to see evening activity. The evening of
Jan 3, say at 6pm CST, is 6 hours after the predicted time of maximum
activity. This is as close as you can get from this time zone for
evening observing.

For morning observing, which will supply more activity despite the moon,
you would want to watch on Jan. 3 up to the time of morning twilight.
This would be approximately 6 hours before maximum activity and once
again is as close as you can get from this time zone.

The Quads intercept the earth at a steep angle of 70 degrees, or nearly
directly on top of us. Since the earth's axis is tilted this places the
radiant at 49 degrees north. I believe Jupiter can approach the Quad's
orbit near it's aphelion point. It is possible that the Quads were
created by a comet that was deflected into this steep orbit by Jupiter.
It is also possible an object was always in this orbit. In either case
it seems that the parent object of the Quads must have disintegrated.

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford

KCStarguy@aol.com wrote:

> thanks for the info. Why is it later? What is the configuration of the orbit
> of material? Where do most think the quadrantids were created by?
>
> Dr. Eric Flescher (KCStarguy@aol.com)
>
> Bert and All,
>
> >From your location in Kansas the peak is predicted to occur at noon
> Thursday January 3, 2002. If you were to see any evening activity at all
> it would occur some 6 hours later after the end of evening twilight.
> Please note that this would be the evening of January 3 and not the 4th.
>
> Good Luck!
>
> Robert Lunsford >>
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html

Follow-Ups: References: