[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball(?), 00:24 UT, 28/29 Dec 2001, Lebanon PA USA

NOTE: Shauna is not a current 'meteorobs' reader. If you follow up, please
MANUALLY put 'sly.madcow@verizondot net' in the "Cc:" line of your reply!

Shauna, what you saw may well have been a very bright meteor, often called
a "fireball". These are surprisingly common (a few per night from any one
location), but are still a thrill to see - especially really bright ones!

What I recommend is that you fill out an online "fireball report form" now,
while the event is still fresh in your mind. Your report, put together with
those of others in your region, may help fireball researchers pinpoint what
it was you saw. (Of course, it is also possible what you saw was a firework
or a signal flare of some kind! But only by using a variety of reports from
different witnesses could researchers reach a definite conclusion on that.)

Here are some online fireball report forms we recommend. Select any ONE of
these to fill out (whichever form contains the most questions that YOU can
accurately answer), and answer as many questions on that form as you can:

    http://www.namnmeteors.org/fireball/report.html
    http://www.imodot net/fireball/report.html
    http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireball/report.html

Clear skies!