[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Quadrantid radio experiment

( On the possibility that some of you might have Radio Sky-Pipe software.)

****

Thursday Jan 3, 2001

Just for the experiment of it,  I will be serving out my forward scatter
meteor chart over the internet with Radio Sky-Pipe during the predicted
peak period of the Quadrantid meteor shower today. I will be monitoring at
89.5 MHz FM.

I will be on line for two sessions.

1600 UT through 1630 UT

short break off line then back on at  1645 UT through 1830 UT

The predicted peak of this shower is around 1800 UT and the shower radiant
is still above the horizon here in New Mexico then. The Quadrantid meteor
shower is a dynamic radio shower.

It is 1530 UT presently as I write this note and reception is very good
with lots of meteors.  Hopefully reception will stay consistent through the
rest of the morning. We'll see. (The only problem is an interfering
regional station that is about 100 miles distant that might fade in and out
for short periods.)

I think I will be able to accomodate ten "clients" at a time so if you
cannot connect maybe keep trying. If I am not on line this will mean that
conditions turned poor for reception and I scrapped the experiment.

The meteors are quite evident on the chart as it streams by on screen as
either downward spikes or upward spikes.

For future reference, Radio Sky-Pipe software for the PC  can be acquired
at www.radiosky.com  for free.

Feel free to open the chat window and ask a question or say hello.

( I won't be able to access meteorobs list during the experiment but can be
contacted via  email    tom@heliotown.com

Tom Ashcraft
Lamy New Mexico
35.29 N  105.53 W