[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Lew Gramer's Meteor Reporting Tips

Mark Fox writes:
>I will try to remedy that if I send the list any future reports.

We sure hope you will do that, Mark - or at least send in your reports to
Mark Davis at NAMN/IMO! Observers like you who take the time to record ALL
necessary information for a useful report, are just too rare to let go. :)

>In any event, I hope to catch sight of a Quadrantid or two this year (this
>would be my second try) although it doesn't look overly promising.  What
>time would you advise for viewing this meteor shower now?

So much depends on your location (latitude AND longitude) that it is very hard
to pinpoint any one hour that would be best for a major shower peak, Mark...
(Our resident calendarists, among them Rainer Arlt, Andre Knoefel, Sirko Molau
and Bob Lunsford, may have more specific advice for you, though!)

I can tell you that right now, my plan for tonight is to go out as close to the
end of evening twilight as I can, and observe for an hour or so. Then I will
take a nap! And then if I feel up to it (I am fighting a nasty head cold and/or
ear infection this week), I will try to get out again after midnight (probably
by 1am), and get in at least another 1 hour session. (And in the unlikely event
that Quadrantid activity was really humming, I could talk myself into observing
right through to dawn, in spite of the infection... :>)

Clear skies,
Lew