[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Unusual QUA activity before the predicted peak?

In reference to pre-peak hourly Quad rates of 6, 8, and 15, Lew said,

>These are extraordinary numbers of Quadrantids, for observations many hours
>before the predicted peak, aren't they?

The first two are about what I would expect for the conditions.  Several
times I have seen Quad rates in the mid-20's in dark skies up to half a day
away from the peak either way, and that is from South Florida.

Bert is getting greedy to pair his impression with the rate below :

>Was NOT impressed by Quadrantid rates, at this time I suspect activity
>just might indeed be late this year, only one clustering of Quads.

>0520-0620 CST - 15 Q, 1 ANT, 1 Spor    zs 4.8

That is EXCELLENT for the conditions and timing.  The peak should be coming
over the Pacific in 2002.  We shot our wad last year with a late peak, so I
didn't get to see a good show as hoped for.  In 1997 I finally saw a peak
here, 61 Quads/hour for 1.5 hours with a waning crescent moon interfering
some.  Onward to 2005 for my next chance in this world quadrant.  Every
fourth year for a given time zone is the general outlook.

>But I have always labored under the impression that outside of a few hours
>of true "peak" time, the QUAs are a really *minor* shower of 1-3 per hour!
>
>Clear skies,
>Lew

We can scratch that.  Lew and I didn't get a Quad night with decent
conditions together in the early days.

Quadrantids are beautiful, somewhat leisurely, medium-speed meteors.  If you
can get the peak, it is quite a novelty to see so many meteors at that time
of year.  No luck for me in 2002 -- I wanted to use the backyard for an hour
but was clouded out.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor