[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Quadrantids Forecast--Where Find?

>I see several references to the quad maximum and
some words about profiles on the IMO site, but
what
>is the scoop on the predictions for the quads?
Where do I find the predictions?

Refer to the Shower Calender
http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal02.html

unfortunately, they only provide predictions for
those showers
favored by the lunar phase, and that is in this
year not the
Quadrantids. However there is a working list of
meteor showers
at the bottom of that document, giving 238.16deg
of solar longitude
for the maximum, which can be converted to UT
times using the
solar longitude conversion table.

http://www.imodot net/solarlong/sol02.html

Here you will see that 18h UT
corresponds to 238.166 deg.

Another approach is to use the Visual Handbook of
the IMO.
Here you find profiles for activity of the
streams, you can
again find the solar longitude of the peak and get
some
idea of the shape of the peak. As for the Quads,
the peak
is enormously narrow, steep and high. I don't know
if
these profiles are available online, too.

Hartwig Luethen