[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Strange Quadrantid Night, Report Hopefully To Come

January, 4, 2002

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

I decided to post a message to the list ahead of my
meteor report, like I've seen other more experienced
observers do. In this way I can let you all know that
I had a clear evening for Quadrantid hunting!
Amazing!  It's rare to have such a clear night during
such potential meteor activity around here even though
the LM was only 5.2 or less!  It was cold, to be sure,
with the temperature probably hovering around 22 F
during my whole evening session.  I began at perhaps
7:40 or so and ended at 8:58 P.M. EST.

Most meteors seen were on the slow, faint side for
some reason, and yes, I managed to spy at least one
earth grazing Quadrantid, low in the sky!  I also
noticed suspicious activity coming from Auriga, I
believe.   Sadly, all meteor activity fizzled out at
the end of my session.

Very strangely, two things happened that made the
night extremely interesting.  The first and the more
noteworthy dealt with a bright (0-1mag.), reddish,
starlike object that was sighted underneath the Big
Dipper, very low in the sky.  I know it wasn't just a
plane, satellite, or the like, as it remained
stationary and steady in brightness.  Also, I did not
notice it later in my session, although I do not know
if it just disappeared or became covered by thick
haze. Can anybody ferret out an explanation for this
event?

The second dealt with a very slow orange meteor that
looked as if it may have broken away from its original
path and started a new one, forming possibly a type of
"V" shape before extinguishing.  It could have been a
Quadrantid.  I may send the details about at least one
of the events in a separate post.

I hope to have a report on the way, but can't promise
it soon, like most things.  However, I may try using a
NAMN reporting form this time if I finally can get
everything worked out right, including ALIGNING
everything correctly!

Merry Meteor Hunting!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA
My coordinates: 43 deg. 27',  85 deg. 49'