[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: [IMO-News] Call for Observations for delta Cancrids

On Jan 1, 2 and 3 Steve Quirk and I recorded 36 simultaneous video
meteors, but only one is from close to the DCA radiant.  This was
on Jan 2 at 18:03 UT with corrected geocentric radiant at RA 119 Dec +16
and Vg=16 km/sec.  Although a preliminary result this seems not to be
a DCA, with too low a velocity.

Only 4 of these 36 simultaneous meteors had radiants south of Dec -60.

These were:
                   (2000)    Vg
        UT   mag   RA  Dec  km/s
Jan 01 17:13  +3  125  -75   28
    02 16:12  +4  120  -75   28
    03 11:26  +3  100  -75   24
    03 15:30  +4  112  -76   26

Three of these radiants fall within a 4 degree circle with Vg=27 +/- 1 km/s
All four fall within a 7 degree circle with close velocities.

Three other radiants lay between Dec -55 and -60, namely

                   (2000)    Vg
        UT   mag   RA  Dec  km/s
Jan 02 14:46  +4  139  -60   37
    02 17:45  +2  113  -57   11?
    02 15:53  +4  137  -59   35

Given the large expanse of sky between Dec -55 and the south celestial
pole, and the close correspondence of velocities, it is highly probable
that there are radiants at

RA 119 Dec -75  Vg 27
RA 138 Dec -60  Vg 36
(equinox 2000, epoch 2002 Jan 02)

As I say, these results are preliminary, but the provisional software
has been successfully tested against the Taurid and Orionid showers.
Additional simultaneous observations are likely from Jan 4 and 5.  The
second radiant _could_ be the gamma Velids, as there are no radiants close
to the expected gamma Velid radiant.

These observations were made within the AKM network and used Sirko
Molau's MetRec meteor detection software

Cheers, Rob

Follow-Ups: References: