[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Call for Observations for delta Cancrids

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Marco Langbroek wrote:

> Hi Huang,
>
> It would occur to me that both the geocentric velocity of the theoretical
> stream of your asteroid is clearly too high, and the date of maximum too
> early, to make a viable association with the delta Cancrids.
>
> Koen Miskotte and I observed the delta Cancrids during mid January  in the
> past. They are definitely too slow to be meteors with Vgeo as high as 38
> km/s. Something closer to 25 km/s or perhaps even slower would be closer to
> reality. I think this is a more serious objection to association with 2001
> YB5 than the discrepancy in maximum date, given that the stream profile is
> (very) ill defined.

Huang had written that Vg for 2001 YB5 was 30 km/s and the DCA were 28 km/s
so there is only a small discrepancy.  The heliocentric velocity is 38 km/s.

I'm supposed to be doing astrometry on YB5 at the moment, but it's cloudy!

Follow-Ups: References: