[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Call for Observations for delta Cancrids

>Also, we would like to ask more observers to keep an eye out for this
>meteor shower. Visual plotting, video and photographic observations can
>all be used to determine the coordinate of the radiant...

Do not forget the highly accurate (and low-technology) possibility of
doing Telescopic Meteor Plotting as well, Huan! Malcolm Currie (IMO's
TM Commissioner) can comment with more authority, but a quick check of
the star charts indicates that some combination of the IMO "TM" Charts
081 (head of Lynx), 147 (below front paw of Leo), 157 (Western end of
Monoceros) and 100 (covering Epsilon Gem) might do the trick! This is
especially worth considering, because of the putative faintness of the
DCAs, for which the IMO derives a relatively high 'r' factor of 3.0.

The positions of all four of these charts are mercifully easy to find
in the sky with a rich-field telescope or mounted binoculars. And they
form a nice pattern surrounding the DCA peak radiant. (Of course, Huan
seems to suggest observing the DCA several days BEFORE their supposed
peak - so maybe another set of charts would be better then?) In any
case, we can easily make all these charts available for download from
http://meteorobs.org/telescopic.html - if there's sufficient interest!

What are your comments, Malcolm?

Clear skies all!
Lew Gramer