[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) asteroid 2001 YB5 and delta Cancrids

Marco Langbroek wrote:
> I just compared the orbit of 2001 YB5 with those given for the delta
> Cancrids in the IMO handbook (orbit originating from Lindblad), by means of
> Drummond's D' criterion. This compares and weights the orbital elements of
> two orbits (asteroid and stream in this case) and expresses the similarity
> in a D' value. The smaller this value, the higher the two orbits compare to
> each other.

==================
Does Drummond's D' criterion take into account the inclination of the
orbit?

I think the lower the inclination the lower the probability of the
orbits beeing related, because the gravitacional influence of the
planets can detour the orbits relatively fast. Or, in other words,
considering two low inclination orbits, the D' value could be higher to
consider them as likely associated.

YB5 crosses the orbits of the 4 rocky planets and approaches Jupiter. I
think its orbit isn't a very stable one.

Besides this, 2001 YB5 is a very small asteroid, few hundreds of meters
in diameter (or length), at most. Considering a cometary like origin,
can such a small body produce all the dust needed to form a difuse
stream, like DCA?

Perhaps it is just the major "particle" of DCA stream (or January
streams), which formed when two larger bodies collided a few thousand
years ago. The parent bodies should've already been ejected from the
inner solar system (or have hit a planet) and YB5 is following, much
likely, a similar path. Because of planets gravity, the hypothetical
associated meteoroid stream should have some gaps and clustering in its
extent. This can cause occasional meteor outbursts and dissapearances,
besides spreading out the particles much faster than high inclination
streams. Such hypothetical stream should be relatively young, but its
particles all originated at once in that collision. But it's just my
"theory".

By the way, is there any low inclination (and low Vg) stream that isn't
so diffuse?

Kiko Soares
P. Prudente - Brasil
22.07 S - 51.22 W