[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Many reports of December re-entry

I think this has relevance for fireball data-gatherers in that it
can give a pretty good feel for how naive observers describe and
interpret unusual sky events like the December re-entry of the
Russian rocket over the great plains area of the USA.  There are
more than 30 eyewitness reports of the event at this location:

 http://www.msatech.com/nuforc/webreports/ndxe200112.html

(You have to click on the linked date -- 12/1/01 -- of each listed
item to see that entire report.)  The site's administrator has
noted on each report what it probably was and gives the URL of the
Science@NASA article about the event, "Weekend Fireballs" (Dec. 3,
2001).

Some very bright natural meteor fireballs have also been reported
to that site by multiple eyewitnesses.  (I went there tonight to
look for reports of the Dec. 22, 2001, Hawaii fireball, but the
site hasn't been updated past Dec. 5 yet.)

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA
http://wwwvms.utexasdot edu/~ecannon/meteorlinks.html