[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) [IMO-News] International Meteor Conference 2002

>To: imo-news@yahoogroups.com
>Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:28:51 MET

Hello everybody,

First of all, I wish you all the best for 2002.

Right at the beginning of the year, I would like to let you
know that the IMO Council has decided that the IMC 2002 will
be organized by the Polish Comets and Meteors Workshop (CMW).
Further information will be given in the next WGN issue as
well as on the IMO's web pages soon. Attached find a text
prepared by Mariusz Wisniewski, Arkadiusz Olech, Marcin Gajos,
Kamil Zloczewski and Aleksander Trofimowicz of the CMW.

Regards,

Juergen Rendtel
IMO President

---------------------

The 2002 International Meteor Conference
Frombork, September 26-29, 2002

We have a great pleasure to invite you to Frombork - the city of
Nicolaus Copernicus. The place for the IMC 2002 was not chosen
accidentally. Frombork is the beautiful small town placed near the
Vistula Bay with a nice view on the Vistula Sand-bar. The most important
part of the town is the Cathedral Hill with many historical monuments
including the Gothic cathedral, the Copernicus tower, where the great
astronomer was making his observations, the Radziejowski tower with
astronomical planetarium and 28-meter Foucault pendulum inside.

Other interesting places are Saint Ann Chapel with natural medicine
exhibition, XIV century Water Tower, nice main city square and couple of
historical canonry buildings.

Frombork is a typical touristic place with many small coffee bars and
romantic restaurants. There is also the fishing port and the pier where,
each morning, you can buy a fresh fish. During the touristic season
there is a possibility to sail to Krynica Morska a town placed at the
Vistula Sand-bar just near the open sea and spend free time at the nice
sandy beach.

Frombork is surrounded by village landscape with small areas of wild
forests and full of natural beauty estuary of Ba{\l}da river. There is
an amateur astronomical observatory at \.Zurawia Hill about 1.5
kilometer on the south of Frombork.

However we will provide the bus transport from Gda\'nsk to Frombork we
encourage all participants to have a train trip from Frombork to
Elbl\c{a}g. It allows you to admire the great landscapes of the Vistula
Bay coast which are sometimes within few meters from the railroad. Other
very interesting trip for people who plan to stay longer is an excursion
to Malbork - the biggest mid age castle in the world or visiting Gda\'nsk
and its famous old town.

The 2002 IMC will take place in days September 26-29 and it will be
organized by the Polish {\sl Comets and Meteors Workshop (CMW)}. The
{\sl CMW} is an astronomical organization founded in 1987. Its main goal
is to coordinate the comet and meteor observations in Poland. Since 1994
the {\sl CMW} is one of the most active group of visual observers in the
world.

The detailed information about getting to Frombork, the IMC hotel, the
reduced fees and other important things are available at our Web
Pages: http://www.astrouwdot edu.pl/~olech/pkim/imc2002/imc.html
If you have any problems, questions, suggestions or requirements do not
hesitate to contact Mariusz Wi\'sniewski, ul. Afrykanska 10, 03-966
Warszawa, Poland, e-mail: pkim@astrouwdot edu.pl, phone: +48-22-672-38-81,
mobile phone: +48-607-49-13-09

Mariusz Wi\'sniewski, Arkadiusz Olech, Marcin Gajos,
Kamil Z{\l}oczewski and Aleksander Trofimowicz

- --
Juergen Rendtel                          Astrophysical Institute Potsdam
jrendtel@aipdot de                                      Telegrafenberg A 27
Phone: (+49) 331 - 288 2327 (office)              14473 Potsdam, Germany
       (+49) 331 - 7499 356 (office)
Fax:   (+49) 331 - 288 2310
http://aipsoe.aipdot de/~rend/rnl-p.html

				       International Meteor Organization
Phone: (+49) 33208 - 50753  (priv.)   Seestr.6, 14476 Marquardt, Germany