[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) [IMO-News] 2001 Leonid Photo Gallery at imodot net

Michael Linnolt wrote:

> The first photo from CAST looks really cool, showing the
> Leonids all converging at the radiant point. However, the
> long meteor in far upper right appears to violate the path
> length/radiant distance < 0.5 rule. Don't know how far off
> beyond the frame it goes to the right, but even from what
> is shown, it seems to begin not much over 1 path length
> from the radiant! Maybe its a coincidentally aligned SPO?

The radiant was low in the sky, hence permiting this effect. The long
meteor path could be caused by a larger particle that survived longer in
the atmosphere. Or it could have occurred nearer the observer than the
others that appear in the same area of the sky.

Kiko Soares
P. Prudente - Brasil
22.07 S - 51.22 W