[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) [IMO-News] 2001 Leonid Photo Gallery at imodot net

[NOTE: Marc is not a current 'meteorobs' reader! If you
follow up, please MANUALLY put 'm.cdot delignie@xs4alldot nl'
in the "CC:" line of your reply.   -Lew Gramer ]

>Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:33:25 +0100

>Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 02:19:19 -0500 (EST)
>From: Michael Linnolt <mlinnolt@alum.mitdot edu>
>To: meteorobs@atmob.org
>Subject: Re: (meteorobs) [IMO-News] 2001 Leonid Photo Gallery at imodot net
>
>The first photo from CAST looks really cool, showing the
>Leonids all converging at the radiant point. However, the
>long meteor in far upper right appears to violate the path
>length/radiant distance < 0.5 rule. Don't know how far off
>beyond the frame it goes to the right, but even from what
>is shown, it seems to begin not much over 1 path length
>from the radiant! Maybe its a coincidentally aligned SPO?

The trail indeed seems oddly long, and without doing the
calculations, it would mean that its trajectory has a much
larger difference begin atmospheric begin and end height
than the other trails of meteors of similar brightness.

Another explanation, other than the one suggested by
Michael, is that the trail is actually caused by ***two***
Leonid meteors which accidentally lined up.

Marc de Lignie
IMO Photographic Commission