[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Velocities

January 22, 2002

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

If I am correct, it is stated that many meteor showers
have more or less their own characteristic speed,
differing only slightly for each individual shower
member.  Perseid and Leonid meteors are quoted as
being fast, and the Taurids as slow, for instance.

With that said, it is also realized that most meteors
observed in the evening will be generally slow due to
their "catching up" with earth, since the planet at
that time is moving away from them.  As the night
progresses, however, the meteors will become faster as
the same side of earth rotates towards the front that
is moving through space and plowing into meteoritic
particles.

Thus, wouldn't the meteors of a given shower that is
active above the horizon from evening to dusk show any
significant increase in speed?   Also, with this in
mind, are the speeds given for a particular meteor
shower an average, not only for shower members seen at
a specific time, but for the whole night as well?

My e-mail is unclefireballmtf@yahoo.com.

Long trains!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA
Coordinates: 43 deg. 27' N, 85 deg. 49' W