[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Meteor Velocities

Mark and All,

You should not really say that showers have their own characteristic
speed as velocity alone is a poor indicator of shower association. ANY
shower can produce slow meteors. Leonids seen near the radiant or low in
the sky will appear to travel slowly.

To clear up another misconception, during the evening hours all activity
  will be slow since the earth and any meteoroids that happen to strike
the earth will be orbiting in the same general direction. The earth is
not moving away from the meteoroid or it would never collide with earth.

Meteors of a given shower that is active above the horizon from evening
to dusk would not show any significant increase in speed because they
are striking the earth at the same angle no matter what time it is.
Picture a swarm of meteors striking the earth from a direction directly
opposite the sun. At dusk these meteors would radiate from a location
near the eastern horizon. The observed velocities would be medium to
slow depending on where the meteors appeared in the sky. At midnight the
radiant would appear on the meridian but the meteors would still be slow
to medium speed. At dawn the radiant would be near the western horizon
but the velocity would still be the same. The angle for which the
meteoroids strike the earth has not changed. What has changed is your
angle with respect to the radiant.

In order for a shower to change its velocity during the night the
radiant would have to move about the constellations as the night
progresses. This is an impossible situation. Radiants do travel but at
a rate of only 1 degree per day. This motion is not caused by the
earth's rotation but rather the earth revolving around the sun.

The speeds listed for each shower are certainly averaged for those who
face away from the radiant at least 45 degrees distant and at least 45
degrees altitude above the horizon. If you look closer to the radiant
then the apparent speed will be slower.

I hope this helps.

Clear Skies!

Robert Lunsford