[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fwd: Fireball(?), evening 31 Jan 2002, Houston TX USA

At 09:25 2/02/02, you wrote:
>I think the lucky guys got to see trash burning in the sky.
>I think this may be Iridium 27, that wasmentioned yesterday?
>re:
>[meteorite-list] OT: Iridium 27 decay warning update
>
>------c-HArlie

No, absolutely couldnt be. 9pm Central time jan 31 is 0300UT Feb 1.
Iridium 27 decayed around 0530-0600UT Feb 1. Anyway the described
motion isnt consistent with a satellite its much too fast. ANY re-entering
object going nearly overhead and visible horizon-horizon will be visible for
 about a minute.
Bright meteors are much more common than re-entering satellites.
Tony Beresford