[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leo 2001 coverage in S&T 3/2002

dfischer@astro.uni-bonndot de writes:

<< Thus both 2001 storms actually fell short of
 the strength of the single-peaked Leonid storm of 1999 when the ZHR
 reached some 5000. >>

    Actually . . . according to the IMO, the ZHR for the 1999 storm was
placed at 3700, although there were indeed quite a few reports that suggested
higher rates.

    I myself felt that the estimated IMO 2001 ZHR for the Americas of ~1500
was a bit low, since during the peak I later commented that it seemed that
(observing from Benson, Arizona) meteors were coming at a rate of one every 1
to 2 seconds and that in talking to those who observed from atop nearby Mount
Lemmon, ZHRs were initially estimated to be ~2500.

-- joe rao