[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Fireballs through the clouds (was Re: (meteorobs) Comets off)

>Amateur's question: Even with highly cloudy sky, it would be possible a fast
>meteor is sighted with shine around -5.0 to -4.0 mag. below the clouds? In
>this case, could this meteor be classified as a meteor?

Rosely, do you mean, "Is it possible to see a meteor of magnitude -4 or -5,
THROUGH (behind) the clouds..."? If you do, the answer is decidedly "yes"!
Especially in the case of cirrus (high ice-cloud) overcast, it is possible
to see fireballs quite well. I have certainly done it, anyway!

Now, I assume you don't literally mean, "Is it possible to see a fireball IN
FRONT OF clouds?" The answer then would be, "Only if the fireball were from
a large enough object to strike earth with celestial velocity"... In other
words, only if a fireball were comparable to the *sun* in magnitude, I think!

Remember, even cirrus (high) clouds are less than 15 miles up - and the "dark
flight" of even a fairly bright fireball usually begins much higher than that.

Take care,
Lew Gramer

Follow-Ups: References: