[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Calculating Mt.Lemmon Leonid ZHR (was Leo 2001 coverage in S&T 3/2002)

Thank you very much to Malcolm Currie and Rainer Arlt for
your helpful and kind replies!  Now I'm clear that the ZHR
is for an average observer.  I also a while ago failed to
double-check the effect of the exponent when the LM is
better than +6.5.  I wasn't aware of any disagreement about
the correction factor for altitude above the horizon.

As one further clarification, is the average observer at
least considered in some way to be perceptually "normal"?
I ask because, for example, a person I know who must use
eyedrops to treat glaucoma has medically constricted pupils
and would not ever be able to see as many meteors as I, who
have more or less normal night vision.  So I wonder if the
average observer in the ZHR calculation is based on people
with at least fairly normal night vision.

Now I really must get some sleep so I can stay awake at
the office later today!

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA