[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) off topic: video volunteers for a variable star

 I realize this is off-topic but the capabilities of meteor observers make
meteorobs perfect for this kind of experiment. (As an aside, I'm a regular
lurker on this list..)

 I have received some evidence of significant flare activity of a newly
discovered star, V838 Mon. Currently it is around mag 8 or so but last
weekend it it was around mag 6-7. The AAVSO was coordinating an observing
campaign of the object with the Hubble Space Telescope on Saturday. So
during that day we had intense coverage of the star from all over the
world.
 Two observers have reported to me very bright transient flares associated
with V838 mon. These observers are separated by about 8 thousand miles and
the observations by about 4 hours. I know one of them personally and can
vouch that they did not communicate with each other, each report is
independent. Both observers are experienced.
 The first thing that came to mind when the 2nd report came in was the
lunar transient phenomenon debate and the video used recently to record
leonid strikes on the moon.
 If this is a real deal, the only way to find evidence would be to
carefully monitor V838 Mon with a video camera for a few nights. Does
anyone have the capability and willingness to do such a project?

 I stress that there is no other evidence that this is intrinsic to the
variable and are real events. All we have are reports from two independant
(but experienced) observers. There are lots of things this could be.
However, if it really is flare activity then this would be a big deal and
likely lead to major publication, if not more.
 If anyone is interested please e-mail me privately and don't pass this to
any other groups or lists without checking with me first - some people
would take this and immediately assume it is real and raise false alarms!
 Thanks!

Aaron Price, Technical Assistant, Technology
American Association of Variable Star Observers
http://www.aavso.org