[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Finally a Leo 2001 report from a Pacific island!

> Just to clarify, Daniel, Malcolm Currie (who is on a Pacific Island known as
> Hawai'i) actually submitted a wonderful report from the LEO peak night to our
> list - DURING the LEO peak night. :)

Mike Linnolt also presented a detailed visual report for 5-minute
intervals from Mauna Loa, about 10 km south of me.  True mine was more
descriptive caught between telescopic observations frustrated by car
headlights and noise.  It was definitely a night I'd have loved to have
replayed so that I could observe visually and telescopically.  My rates
were much higher than Mike's for a start my LM was three quarters of a
magnitude fainter and I have a high perception.  My vision is quite
close to Lew's based upon our joint sessions in New England and Hawaii.
Even on non-major-shower nights in the spring I can't look up for more
than a few minutes without seeing a meteor.

Lots of the fun went out of visual observing in the UK because of the
light pollution growth over the last 30 years.  If I had had a
narrow-field video camera operating here for the faint meteors, I might
well have spent a lot more of my time here in Hawaii doing visual
watches, filling in a gap in the ZHR plots.  Above the cloud inversion
layer the skies are truly magnificent.  Also in winter the temperatures
rarely get to freezing where I observe c.7000', although last weekend
(looking for those possible minor showers in the Serpens-Corona area)
there was a thick layer of frost on my windscreen at dawn.

Malcolm