[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Off-Topic: Unfortunate new SPAM policy from yahoo.com

>To: meteorobs@atmob.org, imo-news@yahoogroups.com, leo2001@yahoogroups.com
>Cc: amastro@yahoogroups.com

The following information is correct: I just checked my own membership at
'groups.yahoo.com', and I had been "selected" to receive lots of spam. My
apologies for intruding on the meteor mailing lists with this information,
but I thought it might be of interest to those who don't appreciate ads.

NOTE: For those few who are receiving 'meteorobs' via Yahoo!, it is poss-
ible to subscribe DIRECTLY to 'meteorobs' without a Yahoo account. See:
    http://www.meteorobs.org/subscribe.html

Clear skies all!
Lew Gramer <owner-meteorobs@atmob.org>

------- Forwarded Message

To: Planetary_Nebulae@yahoogroups.com
From: Eric <...>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 21:21:45 -0000
Subject: [Planetary_Nebulae] IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ!

For those who do not receive emails from this group, I apologize but I
felt this was necessary. Please read:
It seems that Yahoo has tried to back-handedly slide one by all its
members by changing EVERYONE'S account preferences to now receive
advertisements in one form or another. This is a malicious and
irresponsible invasion of privacy and member preference and I
encourage all to write and voice their opinion (man I miss the EGROUPS
that we started out with a few years back). Anyway, if I could, as your
moderator, I would personally change every person's account back to its
original status for you - but I cannot. Fortunately, it only takes
about 10 seconds.
1) On the main page (where Doug Snyder is currently posing), go to the
very top right and click on "Account Info".
2) Scroll down a bit and click on "Edit Your Marketing Preferences".
3) On the page that opens, click "no" for all that applies (that is,
if you do not want to receive advertisements).
4) Click "Save Changes" at the bottom and you are set.

Its bad enough that yahoo has to subject us with ads but this is
really pretty disgusting. Anyway, as moderator I apologize (here I am
apologizin for these yahoo boneheads) but I felt one was in order.

It is possible that I may move this group off of here and host a group
myself at icplanetaries.com but that is just in the thinking stage at
this point. Anyway, I sincerely wish that this was not the case here
but unfortunately it is.

Your faithful moderator, Eric

------- End of Forwarded Message