[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) bright fireball 7/4/2002

Hi Nick,

There are a few Dutch sightings of what might have been the fireball, although
there appear to be some time discrepancies. Anyhow, we have a number of
reports, including from the coastguard, of greenish fireballs in the early
morning/late night of April 7.

Marco Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society, the Netherlands

Quoten Nick Martin <bonnyton@ednet.codot uk>:

> I was out looking at Ikeya Zhang this morning when I was looking up and saw
> a brilliant fireball.
> It was at roughly 03:45 UT, I did not have my watch on at the time.
> The meteor was in the south east and much of the observed path was partially
> obscuredby trees.
> The meteor had an approximate magnitude of -8. It was predominately yellow
> in colour and elongated in shape. There were coloured flashes in purple and
> green and limited sparking. There was no long duration trail. Although I
> immediately moved to get a view past the trees and the sky still reasonably
> dark there was no visble trail at all.
> I noticed the meteor as it went just to the west of eta Serpens and to the
> west of sigma Sagittarius probably crossing the horizon near delta and gamma
> Sagittarius.
>
> Nick
> Nick Martin, Bonnyton House, By Ayr, Ayrshire KA6 7EW ,Scotland, UK.
>  Latitude 55 24'56" Longitude 4 26' 00".
>

> The archive and Web site for our list is at http://www.meteorobs.org
> To stop getting all email from the 'meteorobs' lists, use our Webform:

Follow-Ups: References: