[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) bright fireball 7/4/2002

"Karl Antier" <karl.antier@wanadoo.fr> schrieb:
>Hi all !
>
>Here is a mail I received and that must be related to this event.
>I received it from a French mailing list on UFO, but it must be quite interesting
>for you too. It seems that the 7/4/2002 event is due to a space reentry. I
>translate the mail the best I can :
>
>"Luminous phenomenon in "Bayern : a meteor shower ?
>Munich, April, the 7th of 2002
>Mysterious luminous phenomena have been observed in the night from Saturday to
>Sunday in the regional Deutsch state of Bayern would be due to a meteor shower,
>according to an expert.
>"We can definitely exclude the possibility that it was debris of a space station
>or the wreckage of a satellite", declared Otto Guthier, president of the
>Association of the friends of the stars of Heppenheim, in charged of controling
>and photographying all phenomena that occured in Deutsch sky.
>"It's a fireball, a rain of shooting stars of low mass", he explained, asserting
>that according to  the photos at his disposal, its weight was of several thousands
>kilograms. Mr Guthier added that he wasn't sure that this rain had fallen on earth
>in spite of its mass : "it could extinguish above the Earth".
>Thousands of inhabitants of southern Bayern observed the phenomenon and, worried,
>called the local authorities all night long. Some declared having heard an
>explosion noise after several lightnings in the sky.
>"Some winows shaked", indicated a spokesman of the local police.
>According to the regional department of the Interior, around 100 000 persons would
>have assist to these luminous phenomena. "We don't know where it came from",
>indicated a sposkeman of police on Sunday morning "
>
>Ufoweb note that could be related to this event :
>
>"Reentry in the atmosphere of a launcher and his two satellites.
>07/04 19:23 : The superior stage of a Pegasus rocket and the American satellites
>HETE-1 and Argentinian SAC-B which hadn't unhooked during the launch in 1996
>reentred the atmosphere in the night from Saturday to Sunday, announced the NASA.
>The three devices weighed 535 kilos and the NASA expected that only the four steel
>batteries ( 15 kg in total ) would resist the atmosphere reentry
>The launch occured on november the 4th of 1996. The launcher had hit the right
>altitude but the third stage didn't detach from the two satellites.
>In Bayern, thousands of people caught a glimpse of mysterious luminous phenomena
>in the sky, in the night from Saturday to Sunday."
>
>This is the translated article. Sorry for all the mistakes I committed. It may not
>sound very  "scientific", but it might help to find some witnesses of the
>fireball, which may be reentry satellite.
>Behind is the French article, for those who are used in reading this language.
>
>Clear skies to all !
>
>Karl.
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> [...]
Hello Karl,

The event observed over on Saturday night was definitely
n o t  a decayer. The mentioned SAC-B/HETE/PEGASUS reentry
occured on April 07, 03:55 UTC +/-07 minutes
(31.5°N, 92.4°E) over Tibet.
My own calculation agrees with this message from the
US SPACECOM colleagues and shows
    April 07, 03:51 UTC +/- 07 minutes (14.85°N, 72.92°E)
also on northbound pass over the Arabian Sea.
BTW: The orbit of this decayer had an inclination of 37.9°, too
much south to see this object during its last orbits from
Southern Bavaria (Germany).

Harro Zimmer

Berlin.Germany