[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) bright fireball 7/4/2002

I've been trying to follow the events in Germany. First reports mentioned
that streaks of light had been seen for some 30 seconds, while others
mentioned fireballs. Munchen airport thought a fireball came to the ground
near a runway but an inspection revealed nothing.

Later the first explanations came: maybe debris from the pegasus rocket, but
NASA said that was not possible. The re-entry had not taken place yet (it
did later during the day above China/Tibet). The Deutches Wetterdienst even
told it was probably debris from comet Ikeya-Zhang. A statement which they
later withdrew.

Then the report came that a farmer had recovered a bit of a meteorite in her
land. Further information about the recovery is lacking.

Over the weekend several fireball sightings have been reported in Europe
(Germany, The Netherlands and UK).

Daniel