[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

note: 2 fireballs on 6-7/4/2002 RE: (meteorobs) bright fireball 7/4/2002

Hi all,

To avoid confusion: it appears that there have been TWO separate fireballs
during the night of 6-7 april over Europe. One is the Bayern (S-Germany) event
which happened before midnight. Then there is a second fireball, seen from the
Netherlands and Scotland, which occurred a few hours later, after midnight, in
the North Sea area.

Concerning the Bayern "meteorite", media reports are notorious. Much is unclear
and what the media do report, if it can be trusted, does not promote confidence
in a true meteorite recovery. Indeed sounds like the old story of "saw the
fireball land and found strange rock" which usually translates to 'the fireball
was at quite some distance and I picked up a natural boulder or a piece of
slag'. But let's await more sound news.

- Marco Langbroek
  Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)