[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Glow, Temperature, Color, Burning

I'm told that the reason that meteors burn in the atmosphere is not because of friction, but because
they compress the atmosphere in front of their direction of travel. The compression provides the
heat that causes them to burn. Also, the color in their trail is caused by different elements
undergoing heating, so one sees, for example, the burning of nickel and sodium. Anyone know where I
can find more details on how all this works?

--
       Wayne T. Watson (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N, 2,701 feet), Nevada City, CA

              "I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing." -- Anon

                        Web Page: http://home.earthlinkdot net/~mtnviews
           Imaginarium Museum: http://home.earthlinkdot net/~mtnviews/imaginarium.html