[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Glow, Temperature, Color, Burning

----- Original Message -----
From: Wayne Watson <mtnviews@earthlinkdot net>
Subject: (meteorobs) Meteor Glow, Temperature, Color, Burning

> I'm told that the reason that meteors burn in the atmosphere is not
because of friction, but because
> they compress the atmosphere in front of their direction of travel. The
compression provides the
> heat that causes them to burn. Also, the color in their trail is caused by
different elements
> undergoing heating, so one sees, for example, the burning of nickel and
sodium. Anyone know where I
> can find more details on how all this works?

Wayne:

    Try and find a copy of the book, Physics of Meteor Flight in the
Atmosphere by Ernst J. Opik, Interscience Tracts on Physics and Astronomy,
number 6, (1958).  Outdated, but good information.  Much of this has already
been discussed on meteorobs so it may be in the meteorobs archives.  Ask Lew
for the url.

Ed Majden

Follow-Ups: References: