[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Opik

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Lew Gramer wrote:

> >I think it's even worse: the Opik method breaks down at rates above maybe 1,000
> >per hour (with really good timing), but then ANY human counting method breaks
> >down around 4,000 per hour
>
> I was curious to hear more about this last point, Chris: are you aware of any
> perception studies which tend to point to this as an upper limit for "counting"?
>
> Also, it may or may not be signficant that the observing conditions for you and
> your fellow Leonid MAC team members were very, very different from those that
> most observers face in the field - perhaps better, or perhaps more distracting?

I think there was a general agreement in the 1999 Leonids, that observers who
had an average peak _observed_ rate of around 1/sec (60/min, 3,600/hr) as I
had, felt counting was still reliable, but only just so.  As the rates rose,
I really felt I was about to have trouble counting, when the rates started to
fall after maximum. My maximum count was 70/minute.  I'd tend to agree that
for most observers counting would become unreliable at an observed rate of
over 4,000/hr.  Clearly some observers will be more able to deal with high
rates than others.
Cheers, Rob

Follow-Ups: References: