[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Quick Lyrid Report from Oregon

I got extra sleep in preparation for a couple of hours observing.  It had been a beautiful, clear
day.  When I woke up, I found...clouds.  Sort of a hazy thick cirrus that was lit up horribly by the
Moon.  Luckily, it dissipated somewhat.  The first hour of observing was quite entertaining;
19 Lyrids is by far the highest hourly rate I've seen from this shower.  The haze returned a
bit just as the Moon was getting out of the way, but stayed near the horizon.  Overhead was
nice and clear.  And the Lyrid rates went into the tank.  And finally, thicker haze put an
early end to the observing.  Still, not bad for April.

The brightest Lyrids were 3 at magnitude -1.  Even these didn't leave noticeable wakes.  There
was a -2 sporadic just after I stopped observing.

DATE: 2002 April 21/22  BEGIN: 1008 UT  END: 1139 UT
OBSERVER: Wes Stone
LOCATION: Long: 122.867 West; Lat: 42.576 North
City & State: Chiloquin, OR  Elevation: 1300 meters
RECORDING METHOD: Counting/Tape Recorder

PERIOD(UT)      FIELD     Teff    LM      LYR    SPO
1008-1109     16.5h,+30   1.00   6.35      19     10
1109-1139         "       0.50   6.63       4      5

Mean Magnitudes: LYR 2.4, SPO 3.1

--
Wes Stone
http://skytour.homestead.com

See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar
http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp