[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Lyrid Blundering/Bursts

Mark,
   Nothing I saw this morning would make me think this year was an abnormal
year for the Lyrids.  However, in 1982 most of the outburst I saw was over
in less then one hour from the time it started! Just after midnight that
morning, (21/22 April' 1982)the sky suddenly began to fill with Lyrids!
There was no warning, almost no build-up, and then it was virtually over as
quickly as it started. If I had started my watch that year two hours later
then I did, I would have missed almost the whole thing!  It is for that
reason I ALWAYS try to get at least a bit of a look at them each year just
to see what this stream might do!  If all Lyrid outbursts have been as
short-lived as the one in 1982, it is quite posssible some have slipped by
completely unobserved.

Paul