[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) April 22/23 Lyrid "Peek"

April 23, 2002

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

I did not exactly go meteor hunting last night as I
may have liked.  I woke around ~2:20 P.M. EDT and
found the skies rather clear despite the annoying
moon.  However, instead of getting dress to go out, I
decided to look out of the "big" window in my house
that overlooks Pickerel Lake (SE, I think).  I did
this for a short while to see if it was worthwhile to
meteor hunt.  In all, I saw a 1-2 deg., 0 mag., white
flash that I took to be a late Lyrid.  Nothing else in
the way of meteors was seen though.

Nevertheless, I did spy the constellation Scorpius
which I believe could be the first time.  Very
interesting star pattern!

After my window "session", I decided to sneak out in
my night clothes for a few minutes.  It was cold, cold
enough to kill apricot blossoms, and thus our apricot
crop for this year, sadly.  In any event, I recorded
about 11 stars in Star Area 14 (about 5.5 LM) with no
meteors seen.  The close radiant and the many trees
were not extremely helpful.  I went back to bed close
to 3:00 A.M. EDT.

I would like to thank Mr. Paul Jones for his
intriguing Lyrid episode!  The only "really"
fascinating meteor shower experience I ever recall
witnessing were the Perseids of 1993 --- long before I
was really into meteors, meteorites, glass insulators,
and even before I really delved into coin collecting!
Boy, that was a long time ago!

Long, bright, and dazzling trains!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA