[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonids 2002???

----- Original Message -----
From: "Os, Daniel van" <dvos@Strukton.com>
To: <meteorobs@atmob.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 10:32 AM
Subject: RE: (meteorobs) Leonids 2002???

> I think the current predictions are of the same magnitude as last year, with
> peaks over Europe and the US this time. The biggest difference is the moon,
> which will be full during the night of the maximum.

On the East Coast of the US, the bad news is that the projected peak (slightly
more than even in 2001) is VERY close to sunrise.

The good news is I suspect the moon will be far less of a big deal than people
think; at peak it will be VERY low on the Western horizon, well away from the
area people will likely be watching for Leonids, and probably obscured by
buildings, trees, etc. in the sorts of places most people observe anyway.