[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonids 2002???

In a message dated 4/24/02 10:41:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time, GLDSKTR@aol.com
writes:

<< From what I understand, 2002 could blow away 2001 on the east coast of the
 US. Only problem will be the full moon. They are predicting 30,000/ hour!!
 I'm glad I live in NYC!! >>

    Latest guesstimates actually place the peak on the morning of November 19
at roughly 5:30 a.m. EST at around 10,000/hr.  However . . . increasing
morning twilight plus the Moon will be serious issues along the immediate
east coast of the US.  There is also a peak scheduled for November 18 at
around 11:p.m. EST; that is predicted to produce around 3,000/hr.  Again the
Moon will be a big factor . . . as well as the low altitude of the Leonid
radiant for those in the Northeast US.  Might be good for some showy
earth-grazers, however.

-- joe rao