[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Eta Aquarids 2002

Hi Norman and others,

Due to many cirumstances I've not been able to do our traditional twilight eta
Aquarid hunt, allas...       :-(

At latitude 51 degrees North, eta Aquarids are extremely rare in my country.
The radiant only rises at the moment that astronomical twilight sets in, and
remains below 10 degrees up to the moment that the last stars bleach from the
skies. Yet, with some persistance you might spot the odd eta during a few
mornings directly around the maximum of the stream.

Among a select group of avid Dutch observers, it is a sport to hunt for eta's
in (deep) twilight this way. Rudolf veltman pioneered this sport back in the
early eighties. Especially Koen Miskotte and me have continued this tradition
during the nineties. From our latitudes, it is special to see one, deep in
twilight, arching a long trail. As far as I am aware of, I hold the officious
Dutch record, for seeing 3 eta's on one morning, back in 1997.

Cheers,

Marco