[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) May 6 observation from Oregon

The clouds didn't get here as planned; still, I had a hard time getting out of bed in the morning
even with the clear skies.  I wound up dozing until 3:40am PDT (1040 UT); then hurried out
for a 45-minute watch.  The skies were better than last night, with much better contrast in the
Milky Way.  Mean LM was 6.5; probably sleepy eyes knocked down my star counts.  There was
a faint pillar where the Moon was about to rise, but no real problems until twilight was advanced.
In 0.75 hours of Teff between 1055-1140 UT, I saw:

6 Eta Aquarids (mean magnitude 1.8)
4 Sporadics (mean magnitude 3.5)

The highlight of the watch should have been a -1 earthgrazing ETA that went low along the
southern horizon; unfortunately, I was facing northeast and just caught it out of the corner
of my eye.  Later, a magnitude 0 ETA took a higher path in the south; I was able to enjoy
this one, as well as a magnitude 2 ETA that shot over my head.  4 of the ETAs left wakes
or trains.

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR