[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Moonlit Leonids

Hi everyone,

I'm working on an article for the Science@NASA web site about the 2002
Leonids, and I  have some questions about meteor observing when the Moon is
full.  I know there are members of this list with plenty of experience
observing under such conditions, so I thought you might know the answers.

(1) For a meteor shower with a Leonid-like population index, by what factor
will a full Moon reduce the number of naked-eye meteors?

(2) How much could you hope to improve your limiting magnitude on a Moonlit
night by, say, moving from a sea-level site with moderate humidity to a dry
high mountain observing site ?  (Assume that both sites are free of urban
light pollution, but not free of lunar light pollution.)

(3) Can you offer any tips in general for observers who want to reduce the
effects of lunar interference during the coming Leonid storm?

Any comments and/or answers would be much appreciated.

regards, Tony

Follow-Ups: References: