[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Moonlit Leonids

Dear Tony,

Crucial for moonlight observations is indeed a moist-free sky. Under good
conditions (not necessary at altitude, e.g. at sea-level in the Netherlands
it can happen too when there is an arctic air circulation, bringing clear
skies and dry air - but yes, altitude helps) and with not too faint meteors,
still a lot can be seen and actually reasonable limiting magnitudes reached.
I have occasionally observed in the past under full moon conditions with
limiting magnitudes approaching +6.0. In general, when the sky is clear and
moist-free, magnitude +5.5 should be possible. Whenever I see Limiting
magnitudes quoted for full moon conditions which are (well) below +5.0 while
reportedly the skies were quite clear, I reckon this is a classic case of
underestimating limiting magnitudes. I firmly believe the latter is a
psychological factor and not a physiological factor involved with moonlight.
People think Lm's cannot be high with moonlight, so they estimate low Lm's -
they don't try as well as under non-moonlight conditions perhaps. This is a
very odd phenomena I have noted over and over again. So: moonlight is a
hindrance, but reasonable sky conditions ARE possible if weather cooperates.

A tip is to try to hide the moon from direct vision, e.g. behind a wall,
tree, house or something like that. And take a part of the sky which is
opposite the moon. Those two really make a difference.

If the upcoming Leonids are anything like the two 2001 peaks, then plenty of
bright Leonids should still be visible. If they are not - well, then not of
course...

Marco Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society