[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) leonids

on 5/8/02 10:09 AM, KCStarguy@aol.com at KCStarguy@aol.com wrote:

> Is the current prognosis to go out East for the 2002 Leonids still the best
> choice?
> I've had more luck chasing eclipses then chasing leonids -arrggghhh!!!!
> I was able to capture the planetary allignment with my digital camera (missing
> Mercury ) however.
> That is also very interesting about that minor meteor shower from Iras comet.
> Interesting.
> Dr.Eric Flescher
> The archive and Web site for our list is at http://www.meteorobs.org
> To stop getting all email from the 'meteorobs' lists, use our Webform:
> http://www.meteorobs.org/subscribe.html

I believe that the best place on the planet to watch the 2002 Leonids will
be in the American Southwest -- Arizona and New Mexico. This is because the
primary factor affecting observed rates is weather. The probability of good
clear weather in November in most of North America -- except the Southwest
-- is less than 50%. In the Southwest it's more like 95%. The second factor
is the altitude of the radiant at the time of the peak. That favors the east
coast. The third factor is the altitude of the moon at the time of the peak,
which also favors the east. But the fourth factor is the ability to see both
sides of the peak -- which favors the west coast. I put all these together
and conclude that Arizona and New Mexico are probably the best places to be.

Chris Crawford