[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: NM REPOST full moon and LM

Back on 1997 Apr 3 there was some discussion about full moon and LM.  Here
is a repost of what I said then :

From Rainer :

>I fully agree that lm correction under such bad conditions like a full moon
>becomes most uncertain. But I have to admit that I have never experienced 4.0
>skies under full moon. My general difference to normal skies is 1mag. I have
>about 6.2 under countryside skies, ~5.2 under full moon. The lm factor is 3.3
>then, which sounds suitable compared to the above 5met/hr. Where does the
>4.0-under-full-moon come from?

With a full moon high in the sky I typically experience a limiting magnitude
around 4.0.  About two hours before moonset it improves to 5.0, then the
final hour (if there's enough dark time left) it gets toward 6.0.

Geminids with a full moon (or very close to) several times I had a 4.0 sky
and consistently 18 Geminids/hour.  My dark-sky rate (7.0 sky) is in the
80's, so the correction factor from 4.0 to 7.0 is thus 4 to 5.  No fancy
algebra or theory involved, just a simple ratio of dark sky vs. bright sky
rates.

Perseids under similar conditions in 1984 I saw 9/hour for 3 straight hours.
A normal Perseid shower back then was around 40/hour ; again the correction
factor is between 4 and 5.

Rainer is quite a ways further north than I am, so he won't see the moon as
high as I will, on average.  That ought to account for his better LM under
such conditions.  A winter full moon passes overhead here ; I have seen it
go NORTH of the zenith in the extreme years 1969 and 1988.  It's blazing
bright when straight up -- there's no way you're going to get 5.0 at this time.

Norman
Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor
American Meteor Society