[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Activity from comet SW3 ???

>I was just wondering if there's any chance that
there might be some
>low activity from comet Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 in
the next few days?
>I recall last year when the IMO issued a call for
observations due to
>an approach near a trail, however very few
meteors were seen.  Thanks.

The next approaches to the trails we found are in
2011 and 2017. They
will be closer than the 2001 approach. However I
do not expect
high rates because of the negative delta a0
values. In 2022 we'll
cross the 1995 trail. Because of massive
disintegrations in the comet
in 1995 there may be more particles in that trail
compared to the others.
However also this encounter occurs with a not so
promising section
of the trail (negative delta a0).

This year I would not expect any exceptional
activity, but of course observations in
that time window are valuable to determine the
basal rate of activity.

However the radiant area is quite extended (a huge
area across Cvn and Boo)
which will it make a definite shower association
difficult. Perhaps that
is something for a multi-station video project.

Hartwig