[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Arietids

Kim and All,

Positions for the Arietids were published on this list last Thursday in
my weekly outlook. They are still available online at:
http://www.amsmeteors.org/lunsford/

An updated version will be available tomorrow.

I have seen less than 5 of these meteors in 35 years of observing. They
are active during most of June and have a broad peak centered on June 6
or 7. I would face eastward to try to see these meteors. This year, with
the waning crescent moon in the southeastern sky during the late morning
hours, it would be wise to shift your view a bit further northward so
that the moon is out of your field of view.

Arietids are of medium speed and are usually seen as "earthgrazers" due
to the low radiant altitude. They usually last several seconds and
travel many ten's of degrees as they shoot upward from the northeastern
horizon.

Since the radiant lies 30 degrees west of the sun they cannot be seen
after sunset. Their visibility is limited to the hour or two before dawn.

The current radiant position is 3:00 (45) +23, which would place it
eastern Aries some 8 degrees west of the Pleiades star cluster.

I hope this helps!

Bob Lunsford

Kim Youmans wrote:

> With the peak of the Arietids arriving, I was wondering if one of our
> more knowledgeable and experienced observers could offer us the best
> advice for trying to spot one during dawn or dusk around the peak.  Is
> there anyone out there who has actually seen one?
>
> Seems like I remember one of our long-time American list members stating
> in the past that in all his years of observing, he's never observed an
> Arietid.   Radiant position would be nice, also:)
>

> Kim Youmans

Follow-Ups: References: