[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Obs. June 7/8, 2002

               Short Meteor Observation Report - June 7/8, 2002
                Screech Owl Hill Observatory - Mountain Meadows
                Mathias, WVa - Lat. 385710N Lon. 0785544W - GWG

  I was able to see some good activity from Mountain Meadows in West Virginia
on Saturday morning, including a lucky observation of a rare visual Daylight
Arietid during morning twilight in the square of Pegasus! It was 3rd magnitude
and had a broken trail that looked like a train, and was medium speed. It came
directly from the Arietid radiant and had a blue-white color. It was the only
Daylight Arietid I saw, but I feel lucky to have seen it. It is also the only
one I have ever seen!

  Most of the good activity was from the Antihelion radiant in Sagittarius and
the Northern Apex radiant, which produced four and five meteors respectively
in the three hours from 5:30 to 8:30 UT. I also saw a couple Omicron Scorpids,
which were relatively slow meteors, during this time period. One seen at 6:18
UT was 1st magnitude and had a beautiful blue-green color.  Below is a short
summary. I will send a full report to Bob for AMS soon.

 Time (UT)   LM  Obst.  OSC  ANT  NPX  SPX  DAR  SPO  Total     FOV   Comments
 5:30-6:30  6.5   0%     1    1    2    1    0    7     12   22.8 +33
 6:30-7:30  6.5   0%     0    3    1    0    0    6     10   21.2 +30
 7:30-8:30  6.3   0%     1    0    2    0    1    7     11   21.7 +28 twilight