From: Ed Cannon [mailto:ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 2:40 AM
To: meteorobs@atmob.org
Subject: (meteorobs) Evening meteors from the zenith

In the last couple of weeks, most evenings that I've been
out watching satellites, there have been two and sometimes
even three casually observed meteors going straight down
from somewhere near the zenith.  Last night there was one
about zero magnitude that went down in the northeast.
This seems just a bit unusual.  I'm at 30 north latitude.
Most of the time I've been in the suburbs, not a dark-sky
site.  Our zenith in the evening (e.g. 10:00 p.m. local
time, or 3:00 UTC) is at the junction of Bootes, Canes
Venatici, and Coma Berenices.  An hour later it's in
Bootes.

Thank you very much to Mike Linnolt for his very helpful
reply to the question several days ago about the "best
place (in Texas)" to observe the Perseids!

Ed Cannon - ecannon @ mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA